Bank

Palestinians: Israeli forces kill 2 in West Bank shooting

TEL-AVIV, Israel — Israeli troops and special forces engaged in an hours-long firefight with armed Palestinians in the occupied West Bank on Sunday, Israeli police said, killing at least two Palestinians, according to Palestinian emergency services.

Police said the battle inside Nablus city erupted in an arrest raid, when gunmen barricaded themselves inside the suspect’s house. Police said “a number” of armed Palestinians were killed, without specifying, and said no Israeli forces were injured.

The Palestinian Red Crescent Society said the two men were killed in clashes with the army in Nablus and identified them as Aboud Sobh, 29, and Muhammad Al-Azizi, 22.

The military said a violent protest erupted as troops operated in Nablus, with protesters throwing explosive devices at soldiers and opening fire on them. The soldiers returned fire, according to the army.

The army continued to operate in another area of ​​the West Bank, where another brief exchange of fire took place.

Israeli forces have been carrying out near-daily raids in the West Bank for months, in an effort to quell a spate of attacks by Palestinians on Israelis that has since subsided.

The army encountered resistance during some of these raids, which in several cases proved deadly.

Palestinian attacks on Israelis earlier this year killed 19 people. More than 60 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the start of the year, according to an official Palestinian tally.